This course takes you through a set of powerful, practical steps that will enable you imagine and flesh out the novel you want to write, and finally get your ideas onto the page. We're going to cover how to prepare to write, setting and characterisation, and you'll learn an easy technique to create a story with a beginning, middle and end. I'll finish off with a heads up about an accessible and dynamic planning method I love to use!
As with all the Small Steps Writing Guides, this course is based on two principles:
- You can take any big project, goal or task – like writing a novel – and break it down into smaller and smaller steps until it becomes doable.
- If you take small but specific actions towards your goals regularly enough, they'll have a snowball effect and you'll turn your goals into a reality.
To make the steps in this course easy to remember, it's designed around 6 Ps:
- Preparation – in this introductory lesson you'll learn three ways to prepare, including a fun writing game that will get your ideas flowing.
- Places – in this lesson you'll discover the most important place in your novel.
- People – you're going to think about the characters who inhabit your novel and make their lives difficult.
- Problems – your main character faces a big problem that they try to solve during the novel, as well as several small problems and challenges. This gives your novel idea a shape and allows you to create a beginning, middle and end.
- Putting it all together – in this lesson you'll learn how to begin to shape your ideas by playing around with the problems you've come up and putting them in an order, for now.
- Planning your novel in a weekend – in this lesson you'll hear more about the system I developed after years of searching for the essential elements of storytelling.
I hope you get a lot out of this free mini-course. Please get in touch and let me know how you get on and if you'd like to see anything else included.